Dr. Catherine Sandler, Executive Coach, MD of Sandler Consulting
Smaranda Dochia, Director of Digital Learning & Events
60 minute interactive live webinar*
* The webinar recording and additional resources will be made available to all registered
Date & Time
Monday, 15 July 2019 @ 13.00 BST for 60 minutes
Exclusive Member Benefit: Complimentary to AC members
Not an AC Member yet? Join our community and benefit from this and other digital learning programmes at no cost or for a discounted rate. More info here.
If you are not a member of the AC and/or not currently on our mailing list, by registering for this event you are agreeing to be added to our mailing list. You can opt out of receiving communications from the AC at any time by following the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of our emails.
The AC “Live Coaching Demo” programme
To learn and grow, a coach must constantly evolve their practice and learn from the coaching community. We invite you to join our Live Coaching Demos programme to:
- Watch expert coaching in real-time
- Gain new insights through observing coaching tools applied
- Develop as a coach, grow your practice and inspire your clients
- Learn from our vibrant and knowledge rich global coaching community
The “Live Coaching Demo” programme is an AC Digital Learning initiative, offering our community access to new coaching approaches and techniques through LIVE online learning on a range of relevant and thought-provoking topics.
A Psychodynamic approach to Executive Coaching
Our speaker, Dr. Catherine Sandler, draws on a psychodynamic perspective when coaching executives. This means that she focuses on understanding the feelings that lie both above and below the surface of the coachee’s conscious awareness as these are often the ‘invisible drivers’ of attitudes and behaviour.
Through attentive listening, observing and questioning, she aims to identify:
- the individual’s characteristic patterns of relating to others at work and to her during coaching;
- and how they deal with pressure and threats to their sense of psychological safety.
This can lead to greater clarity as to the coachee’s strengths and those areas where their approach is not serving them well. This, in turn, can lead to a helpful exploration of new, more effective behavioural strategies.
In this webinar, Catherine Sandler will use the psychodynamic approach to demonstrate:
- How she ‘gets alongside’ the coachee to build trust and rapport;
- A proactive style of coaching which moves flexibly between facilitation and guidance;
- The importance of acknowledging and exploring the coachee’s emotions;
- The value of identifying patterns in the coachee’s behaviour.
Preparation & Resources
Participants could think about their own feelings when coaching:
- are there any typical emotions that surface, especially when they first meet a new coachee?
- What triggers their own feelings of anxiety?
Relevant reading will be shared after the event, depending on the themes that emerged in the coaching session.
Catherine has worked in the field of leadership development for more than 25 years and is one of the UK’s most experienced executive coaches. In 1998 she set up Sandler Consulting Ltd. Together with her small team of senior practitioners, she has a well-established reputation for delivering excellent results.
Catherine specialises in working with senior individuals at Board and Director level across the business sector. Client organisations include FTSE 100 companies such as Burberry and Barclays, professional partnerships such as EY and not-for-profit organisations such as the BBC and Tate.
Catherine has worked as an associate of London Business School, INSEAD and the Tavistock Clinic and is a qualified counsellor. She has taught, written and spoken widely on coaching-related topics including leading in turbulent times, executive stress, bullying at work, coaching leaders under pressure and coaching supervision.
Her book, Executive Coaching: A Psychodynamic Approach was published by McGraw Hill in 2011. It has been translated into Mandarin and Catherine runs regular coach training programmes in Beijing and Shanghai.
Catherine’s coaching is set apart by a powerful combination of psychological and business insight. She uses a psychodynamic perspective along with a range of developmental models and tools, including 360-degree feedback and MBTI®. Her coaching style is empathic, proactive and focused on change. She has had particular success in helping clients transform their leadership effectiveness by shifting longstanding but unhelpful patterns of behaviour.
Price and special offers
Exclusive AC Member Benefit: Join us for this program at no cost
Not an AC Member yet? Join our community and benefit from this and other digital learning programs at no cost or for a discounted rate. More info on how to join us and other member benefits here.
Join this complimentary webinar and you will gain access to:
- 60 minute interactive LIVE Coaching Demo webinar;
- Recording of the session and access to any materials shared;
- A digital community of peers who share the same challenges and have similar goals.
For any questions, please contact Smaranda Dochia, Director of Digital Learning & Events.